Tuesday, May 11, 2010

riveting reds color depositing shampoo and conditioner




Okay.. so it's been a while but I wanted to wait after a couple weeks to review this next product.

The Quantum brand you can buy at Sally Beauty Supplies, and when I was passing through a few weeks ago this shampoo and conditioner set caught my eye. Unlike the John Freida "Radiant Red" collection of shampoos and conditioners, this line is color depositing. For those of you out there who don't know what this means, think of one of your shampoos at home that's bright pink but when you wash your hair the suds turn white and your hair doesn't change color. This is a non-color depositing shampoo or conditioner. There is no active hair dye or any coloring agents that will tint your hair.

So, after my last adventure with the bleaching process, my hair was pretty healthy, all shades of blondes and kinda oranges, but healthy nonetheless. As I was glancing down the aisle at Sally's and thinking how badly I wanted more of a strawberry blonde tint, and looking at hair color, I realized my hair was very close to being on the fritz, and more importantly- my family would simply kill me if I dyed it again. This set caught my eye. It said on the bottle for copper to strawberry blonde to mahogany. For those of you experienced in the color world you'll realize these are totally different reds! Gold undertone, Pink undertone, Blue undertone. Now to the average person they'd write this off saying "who knows what color I'll end up with, so forget it". For me? I was thinking hmmm if I don't like it I'll color oops it (see previous blog review) and waltzed (well more had a lilting step) up to the front of the store and took it home.

If you've ever had platinum or bleached hair before you're aware of this little fact. Your hair is most likely to pick the one tone in your hair color you didn't want and amplify it. So as I'm standing in the shower all sudsy and leaving on the shampoo for the suggested 4 minutes I realize not only does my shower look like a bloody crime scene but my suds are bubblegum pink. For about 30 seconds I was in a complete panic thinking I'd emerge from the tub with pink tresses, however upon my dry hair discovery I found out it did in fact turn more of a copper color I wanted. So after using every day for 8 days, then every 3 days to touch up color I must say I'm in love with this set. It turned my yellowish blonde to a full strawberry blonde.

Downside? Oh damage here we come. I did have to start using not only a protein pack (Dumb Blond Reconstructor by TiGi), I also added in a conditioner for damaged hair that has silicone. this has repaired the look of the damage, but whenever I use the set now I have to follow up with a mask of some type. However, the fact I've had no roots in 3 weeks and my color is exactly what I want somehow makes up for this. The shampoo is about $7, and so is the conditioner. So, for about the price of a box of haircolor you have the set. I've used about 1/3 of the bottles in around 15 uses. So it definitely has some bang for the buck.

In the end?: If you have healthy locks.. give it a go! Good deal, great pigments for light hair. For dark hair, I'm not sure the color wash will show up, but would definitely keep red hair in prime condition. Just stock up on deep conditioning packs! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment