Saturday, April 24, 2010

the '09-'10 Hair Saga

So many of my friends kind of missed the journey that was crossing off one of the biggest things on my before 22 list. And for me that was going dark, as in brunette.

If you know me in real life you know that when I was 19 I became allergic to the hair color I was using to bleach my hair platinum. On a whim, I decided to forgo all hair color together and try going to my natural color. So I got a box of demi-permanent haircolor in a blonde (about a level 7, I figured that must be my natural color) and just leaped. What I found however is that my natural color was about a level 9.5 blonde. Yup, just a little darker than...well... white.

So anyways... I kept that color until my 22nd birthday was approaching in 6 months. So in November at 11:00pm, my friend and I hauled bum to our local 24 hr walgreens and got a level 8 Demi-Permanent Blonde. We loved it. However, as weeks ensued... I kept going darker and darker... pretty soon it wasn't just a dark blonde,.. I was reaching for the boxes of Feria's dark Brown. and to be honest.. I'd crossed the threshold into black hair.

You know the little known bummer of dying your hair black as a natural blonde? There's no such thing as dark roots, you get skunk roots. So after about 4 months of full on black hair (which by the way people I didn't even know would have an opinion, had an opinion about...) I decided before my 22nd birthday that I'm naturally a blonde for many reasons. One being that I look extremely goth in black clothes with dark hair. I'm naturally more of a bubbly person. So, I decided to embark on the journey that is stripping dark hair back to natural colors.

So I waltzed down to my local fred meyer's and picked up two boxes of Color Oops. Now what you have to understand about me is that I'm not afraid of hair color or cosmetics. This fact alone has been a thorn in my mother's side since I was old enough to purchase cosmetics with babysitting money. So, I locked myself in the bathroom, applied the Color Oops and turned on some law and order to wait for the magic.

Magic (in this case) = blonde roots, red/orange hair and black tips.

Okay.... so not perfection... but DiVinci didn't do everything perfect the first time either. So I scrunched my hair with some conditioner and went to the most comforting place when hair has gone awry.... the hair color aisle at Walgreens :) I grabbed myself a box of Feria Bleach Blonde and went back to the privacy of my own bathroom.

I applied the bleach from about chin down to the tips and covered in a plastic bag to well,.... ferment(?), in 20 minutes I applied it up to about 1/2 inch from my roots. Next step? wait for the magic.

Magic (in this case) = platinum blonde roots, strawberry blonde hair, dark strawberry blonde tips.

SUCCESS!!!!

Well, close to success. I sealed the hair with a protein pack (TiGi's Dumb Blonde Reconstructor) and left it.

Current Update? I've been using a red color depositing shampoo and conditioner to make it more of a strawberry blonde. I'll give you an update and review of the products once I have some results for you. :)

1 comment:

  1. So since the epic journey, it's safe to say I'm barred from haircolor for a while (see post on color depositing shampoo to find out how to around the promise to friends and family that you won't buy any more haircolor) yay for ch ch ch changes!

    ReplyDelete