Saturday, April 24, 2010

Color Oops - Hair Color Remover


Okay - So let's say, for some odd reason you are a platinum blonde and decide for fun you're gonna try dyeing your hair light brown, then medium brown, then black.... and let's say you do this for oh.... 5 months. so 5 months x permanent hair dye every 7-10 days = a bloody mess.

Okay - so now that you've been re-dying your hair dark over and over and over you decide that you want to go back to blonde! hmmmm... oh and just for fun you don't want to go in to a salon like every sane person on the planet would advise. You have....Miranda! Here's what I did to get to a strawberry blonde... 2 applications of Color Oops followed by... well that'll be another post.

The first time I experienced the Color Oops (by Developlus) http://www.developlus.com/products/coloroops/index.html miracle I was 17 and decided to use a Revlon shade called "Butterscotch Cream". In my 17 year old brain I was thinking 'Butterscotch = Bronze Blonde' not 'Butterscotch on bleached hair = orange'. So, I used one box (had an inverted bob about chin length at the time) and it took me back to my original platinum blonde! I was thoroughly amazed. Thankfully, never had to use the stuff again until recently. (Side note, I purchased the Color Oops the day after coloring, So it was an immediate treatment; which is the recommended method of removal per Developlus instructions)

Now my hair is about 4-5 inches past my shoulders and about medium thickness. So I purchased two boxes of the extra strength and hoped for the best. While the application (which smells like bloody hell) did remove the black from about shoulders up, unfortunately the black from there downward was so far into the damaged length it was still almost black. That said, if I was willing to part with my length and got a nice shoulder length cut, I could have left it that color. The Color Oops didn't just strip color, it actually did what it promised, disolved the color in the hair, so it wasn't any more damaged and actually felt quite healthy after washing the stuff out. One Con to using the product? My bathroom (which by the way is a communal one for the family...) smelled like a science experiment gone wrong for about 2-3 days after using the product and airing it out with a fan and open window.

Note: ALWAYS BUY MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU'LL NEED!!

I learned this from enough youtube videos researching the stuff, that so many girls didn't buy enough product. The box has only about 3.5 oz of the fluid, and it's rather thick, so I used both containers of the solution on my application.

One thing to remember is that there's no bleach or amonia in the formulation, so it won't LIGHTEN your hair, just try to take you back to your original color.


What were the results? My roots were my natural platinumish blonde, and it faded to about a medium chestnut at the ends. If I had done a whole nother application just to the ends, it may have removed more. However, I went for bigger guns at that point.

Moral of the Story: If you are looking to remove color, I definitely suggest starting here. At only @$10 a box (found at Walgreens, Rite Aid, Fred Meyers, Etc) It's worth $20 to avoid damaging your hair.

Enjoy fellow junkies!

No comments:

Post a Comment